NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unsure if I have a problem with my scope

Hi I have recently purchased a celestron 127 slt and have had it out on a couple of occasions however i set it up in daylight yesterday just to show a friend and admittedly I was looking through a window but could not achieve sharp focus at all with a 9mm eyepiece and even with 25mm eyepiece image was not as sharp as I would expect.

Any advice. I am new to this and scope is only a couple of weeks old.

The window pane is much poorer quality glass than optical glass, double glazing makes things worse, convection currents caused by temperature gradients between inside and outside can kill performance completely. Unless the problem persists outside, I would chalk it up to one of those problems, or a combination

Cheers for the response. I assumed that would be the case and plan on taking outside this evening in daylight to check.

The problem is being new having nothing to compare to. I take it that outside in daylight an image reasonably close should be in crystal clear focus with both eyepieces.

Cheers for the response. I assumed that would be the case and plan on taking outside this evening in daylight to check.

The problem is being new having nothing to compare to. I take it that outside in daylight an image reasonably close should be in crystal clear focus with both eyepieces.

Hi, depending on the scope close focus may be difficult due to range of focuser movement. If you can, point it at something .25 /.5 miles away, this is close enough to reduce atmospheric effects but far enough away to get good focus.  

Thankyou will give it a try tonight and will get back if still an issue. Thanks to everyone yet again for helping.

I feel like a leach on this forum I am always asking for help. I hope one day I will be have gained enough knowledge to help others.

I feel like a leach on this forum I am always asking for help. I hope one day I will be have gained enough knowledge to help others.

Hi John, please do not feel like that, we all had to ask questions when starting out :smiley:   SGL has lots of friendly folk willing to share what they have learned.

All the best, Ed.

Thankyou will give it a try tonight and will get back if still an issue. Thanks to everyone yet again for helping.

Just remember that by asking questions, you ARE helping others that may be too shy to ask themselves. 

I was a leach when I joined SGL...I've since progressed to vampire status :D.

In fact, all of us are really paying back a debt we owe to others who helped us.

And, of course we like showing off from time to time ;)

So true! In a way you're just passing on knowledge you have gained in a lovely karma type cycle. Noobs learn a few bits and can then help out others with the basic stuff. The true beauty of the collective mind.

• 2 weeks later...

All sorted by the way. No issue with my scope lovely views since just didn't realise quite how dreadful my double glazing is to look through! Obviously I wasn't trying to observe through my windows just set the scope up to show a friend.

Have since shown him the moon on a clear night and he was a lot more impressed :grin:

Archived