NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Side-by-side mounting and auto polar alignment

reddoss

I have got nearly everything for my new  dual imaging rig; EQ8 head, AMD dovetail bars and 7.5 inch side-by-side bar, Hitec astro dew controller and heating bands. Just waiting for the lightweight tripod pier from Altar Astro. On one side will be an MN190 and on the other will be an Altair 115 mm triplet APO. On top of the APO will be an ST80 (for auto-guiding) with the finder scope for the MN190 attached to it. I plan to use the auto polar alignment function in the hand set and will be centering the alignment star from an image in PhD using the guide camera  on top of the APO. 

Given there is a very small lateral off set between the RA axis of the mount and the guide scope, would this introduce any error on the polar alignment itself?

Personally I do not think is would make much difference as the parallax effect is going to be virtually nonexistent, plus the optional SW EQ8 polar scope is off set by a similar distance.

It was just a thought that has planted a seed of doubt in my mind and would like peoples thoughts,  and/or reassurance  :-)

Archived