NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging collaboration

Mike Hawtin

I've seen some absolute stunning collaborations here on sgl and think it's a very personal thing. 

Now for the however...

I rescently read a book  on deep sky imaging and the author captured the images, sent them off to be processed, got them back and called them his own. I was impressed with his imaging skills right up to the point I read that. from then on it nagged at the back of my mind :(.

I stress that this is a personal opinion, but for me, 80+% of imaging starts after the scope has been shut down and I'd be loathed to call them mine...ours probably, but not mine.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Id be more than willing to join in on any collabarations,

But I have two problems well 3

1) been in the UK lol, we have been lucky the last month with the weather that i have been well enough but thats far from the norm.

2) I get bored on one target I like to stick a few hours in on this, then on that

3) my CGE does not go past the meridian so I have develeoped a habit of imaging up to the meridian then selecting another target on the east rather than flipping (pure lazzyness i admit)

I stress that this is a personal opinion, but for me, 80+% of imaging starts after the scope has been shut down and I'd be loathed to call them mine...ours probably, but not mine.

I would tend agree but only up to a point, an extraordinary image processor can get the best from any given set of data but it takes an extraordinary data set for the very finest results, silk purses and sow's ears and all that, so to my mind it should be considered a 50/50 effort.

Mike

I would tend agree but only up to a point, an extraordinary image processor can get the best from any given set of data but it takes an extraordinary data set for the very finest results, silk purses and sow's ears and all that, so to my mind it should be considered a 50/50 effort.

Mike

Thing is, most of the work in imaging is done before or after the camera rolls. capture is just checking focus and cloud. Yes you need good data, but I'm confident in saying that most imagers can get good data. far less can use it to it's full potential. I think I'm right in saying that most of the top images we see here have many more hours processing than capture. Of course this doesn't take into account the many hours fettling the equiptment to get it working right.

Thing is, most of the work in imaging is done before or after the camera rolls. capture is just checking focus and cloud. Yes you need good data, but I'm confident in saying that most imagers can get good data. far less can use it to it's full potential. I think I'm right in saying that most of the top images we see here have many more hours processing than capture. Of course this doesn't take into account the many hours fettling the equiptment to get it working right.

I agee once its sorted its very straight foward on the whole, getting it there is the trick.

Archived