NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laptop power issues

I have been trying to get my autoguiding setup to work along with remote exposures from my laptop - unfortunately have hit a big snag.

I have 2 options for guide camera, a Logitech 4000 or Meade DSI.

I can run the Canon/PC cable and Canon/USB cable + the webcam no problems, but if I replace the webcam with the Meade i get a "device unrecognized, failed to start" and non of my USvB ports weant to respond.

After a little investigation it seems as if the laptop isn;t supply enough power to run the power hungry Meade :D

Any advice, or am i stuck with the webcam which is pretty useless at picking up faint stars to guide on!

Cheers

I think the spec for a USB port is that it supplies up to 5mA. If you use an un-powered hub and connect to the lappy, the whole hub shares the 5mA. If it is powered, each port in the hub can draw its own 5mA - the connection to the lappy just provides data communication.

Mike

PS I know b****r all about this really, but that is my understanding

Funny, last night I did the following:

1. plugged in the DSI first, loaded up PHD, connected to DSI and capture started fine.

2. Then plugged the 350D USB cable in, followed by the Remote serial/usb cable. Switched camera on, EOS capture started fine. Loaded DSLR focus and connect ok! :D

Weird, as I was loading the camera cables 1st and then the DSi I got the USB hub errors.Doing it in reverse "seems" to solve the problem.

Explain that! :scratch:

Archived