NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Storing a mount with or without counterweights attached

jnb

I have a new toy, a 4" rerfractor on an EXOS2 mount (basically a EQ5).

When not in use it all lives in the garage. The scope is removed and stored on a shelf. The tripod just stands upright in front of the shelf. Should I remove the counterweight rather than leave it standing for a long time in an unbalanced state. I just have visions of the weight in one position leaving a groove in the drive at the meridian position but on the other hand it's one more bit of faffing to do before using or storing the scope.

As I have to store my equipment in the corner of the dining room I take the weight and the counterbalance rod off of the mount. Even with removing that my CGEM mount is still very heavy to carry through the bungalow and out into the garden.

I made a little collar for mine which acts as a positive stop for controling position. In the image below the collar is moved right up to the top for reasons I cannot recall (probably I was still adjusting the position of the weights). Remember to store your mount with the clutches loose to avoid damage to the gears.

IMG_0325_zps523dddc8.jpg

ChrisH

Archived