Rosetta Probe Historic Comet 67P Rendezvous (Timelapse Video)

FINDTHESUN

I would never have believed that a comet would look like that and be so 'substantial'. I always thought that comets were relatively insubstantial - you remember the 'dirty snowball' analogy? These recent images have totally changed our view of these bodies I think. When I was a lad the thought of 'landing' on a comet would have seemed ridiculous.

thanks for sharing, the images have been the astro highlight of the year so far for me. simply stunning to look at and there is so much more to look forward to in the coming months!

Looks stunning indeed. I was awestruck when I first saw the images.

Let's see what the Pluto flyby will show us next year!

I would never have believed that a comet would look like that and be so 'substantial'. I always thought that comets were relatively insubstantial - you remember the 'dirty snowball' analogy? These recent images have totally changed our view of these bodies I think. When I was a lad the thought of 'landing' on a comet would have seemed ridiculous.

Exactly! The 'dirty snowball' is what we had in our minds until recently.

This is an eye-opening event. I look forward to what will Rosetta reveal next! 

I remember the hype surrounding Comet Kohutek in the 1970's; watching 'Giotto's' historic encounter/rendezvous/mission with Comet Halley in 1986, (when I had a television); and now, 2014; we would be looking at images of a comets nucleus/core.

Philip R

Archived