NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone have a Firewire Imaging Source camera and 64-bit OSX?

JamesF

I'm after some help running a software issue to ground as I don't have such a camera myself.  If you happen to have such a camera and 64-bit OSX (you don't even need to be using them together yourself as long as you can plug the camera into the Mac) and don't mind helping out, I'd be grateful if you'd let me know.

Thanks,

James

I have 2 TIS camera (DFK 21F04 and DMK 21AF04.AS) that I used on OS X 10.9.4 (64 bits) with Astro IIDC.

So let me know what I can test for you.

That would be fantastic, thank you.

I've had someone tell me that whilst oacapture (here: http://www.openastroproject.org/) pretty much works with the TIS FireWire cameras, they get a problem where exposure times cannot be changed -- the exposure is always 1ms.  First I'd like to get some idea whether that's a generic problem with the TIS FireWire cameras or if I might need to look elsewhere for the cause.

I'm also not 100% sure that it will handle the colour interpolation for the colour FireWire cameras properly, so if you are able to tell me whether that works or not that would also be useful.

Thanks again,

James

So with the DMK 21AF04.as I can't set the exposure time. It's stuck to 0 and I can change it (the slider doesn't slide and the field doesn't let me enter anything).

I was expecting a live window but apparently there's none (probably my misunderstanding).

Also the whole dialog is too long for a 13" Macbook Pro (1280x800).

The resuting avi file is 6Kb and here is the content of the associated text file :

oaCapture 0.0.7 betacamera: Imaging Source DMx 21AF04.AStime: 2014-08-16 11:09:41Brightness: 0Contrast: 99Gamma: 10Auto Gain: offGain: 180Exposure (ms): 33frame rate/sec: 4/15image size: 640x480filter: L

I tested under OS X 10.9.4

Rodolphe

I saw (from a stacktrace) that you are using libdc1394 .. which I also use. I have a basic Cocoa application that works with all my cameras. Make sure you're using the latest version of the lib as I made some patches for OS X and the way the callback works with the runloop (either use the git repo or download version 2.2.2).

If you need some sample code for the OS X callback let me know.

Regards, Rodolphe

So with the DMK 21AF04.as I can't set the exposure time. It's stuck to 0 and I can change it (the slider doesn't slide and the field doesn't let me enter anything).

I was expecting a live window but apparently there's none (probably my misunderstanding).

Also the whole dialog is too long for a 13" Macbook Pro (1280x800).

Thank you for this, Rodolphe.  It looks as though I definitely need to do some investigation into what's happening here.  I shall try to get a FireWire camera of some sort to test with as soon as I can.

The application should show a live image, but perhaps it isn't doing so because the exposure setting means no frames are being transmitted.  In the latest version the controls can be moved to the right hand side, completely undocked from the application or hidden altogether.  I hope that should help on devices with a small screen.

James

I saw (from a stacktrace) that you are using libdc1394 .. which I also use. I have a basic Cocoa application that works with all my cameras. Make sure you're using the latest version of the lib as I made some patches for OS X and the way the callback works with the runloop (either use the git repo or download version 2.2.2).

Thanks for the pointer.  I should be using whatever is the most recent version in the macports repository.  I'll check what that is now.

James

That's a very kind offer.  Thank you.  Someone somewhat closer to home (nearer 50 miles than 5000 miles :) has also offered to send me one however, so fortunately we don't need to put the trans-atlantic post to the test for the time being :)

James

Archived