Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meteors by radio -- FM frequency from Bristol

Hi all,

I'm an absolute beginner to radio astronomy but it sounds like fun and I'd like to dip my toe in. So I have an FM radio and want to have a crack at detecting some Perseids. Can anyone suggest a good FM frequency to tune in to? I'll be detecting from Bristol, UK. It would be great to hear some snippets from a foreign station!

Thanks in advance,

- Lee

Hi Lee,

The August edition of the Sky at Night Magazine had an article "Listening In Observing Perseid Meteors By Radio" (by Vincent S Foster)so worth getting hold of. It includes a step by step guide to listening to meteors using FM radio. In essence you need to do some work listening to what FM stations you can hear at home and noting their frequencies then locate a foreign FM station on the Internet between 1300km and 2100km away. The stronger the station transmitter the better. I understand you could use a UK station and a list of them can be found at http://www.frequencyfinder.org.uk/FM_Stations.pdf

Good hunting!

Cheers,

Steve

If you want to try meteor detection via an FM station then this European Radio Map might help you find a station:  http://radiomap.eu/map/

Click on one of the map locations and it will give you a list of the AM/FM stations operating in that location.  

What it won't do is tell you if there is a closer station on the same freq.  

This is just a guess ...... Ponta Delgada in the Azores might be a good starting point.  A good distance to the SW of Bristol and mostly open ocean.

My SDR dongle turned up yesterday .... just need to get my act together and get the antenna up.

If you want to try meteor detection via an FM station then this European Radio Map might help you find a station:  http://radiomap.eu/map/

Click on one of the map locations and it will give you a list of the AM/FM stations operating in that location.  

What it won't do is tell you if there is a closer station on the same freq.  

This is just a guess ...... Ponta Delgada in the Azores might be a good starting point.  A good distance to the SW of Bristol and mostly open ocean.

My SDR dongle turned up yesterday .... just need to get my act together and get the antenna up.

I would be careful here.

Any clear path over open ocean may be recieved via tropo, if conditions are right.

I would go for a station in the 1000>1500km range and on a clear frequency here in the UK.

To increase your chances listen between 0300>0600utc but don't expect to hear things everytime.

Archived