NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 Pro Synscan RA Clock

Hi

first night observing in over 20 years last night! Set up my EQ6 Synscan, polar aligned, followed by 2 star alignment. Success, everything worked great.

I noticed however that when I put the scope back into the home position at the end of the session the mark i had placed earlier on the RA clock ring was no longer in line with the marks i had put on the mount housing. 

I assume this was just the clock ring slipping as the mount was doing its thing, therefore all i have to do tonight is to put the mount to home position, re-set the RA clock to the mark i made then turn RA to the HA supplied on the synscan handset.

Was surprised at how easy it was to set everything up, far cry from the azi mount and star hopping i used to have to do!

Only negatives were the altitude bolts are not great and i can only really get the mount to move in one direction when setting with them. Not a big issue but not perfect. Mount was bought used so the altitude wedge is a little chewed. The EQ6 Wedge looks like it solves all this so thats next on the sopping list!

If the alt post is chewed enough to make a difference, you can either file it down with a basic metal file to straighten it out, or put something over it to make it more solid. I used a random component left over from a flat pack kitchen to protect mine. I also put something non-metal in between the ends of the bolts and the post thingy. Bit of plastic cut from an ice cream tub I believe it was. Worked a treat glued to the post itself.

You can get various bolts with nylon tips and tips that go over bolts. These should really come with the mount in my opinion, maybe they do with higher end mounts.

With the wedge you will still need the head fixing in position so a badly chewed post might cause problems. Fix it and you shouldn't need the wedge.

cheers

Chris

Archived