Completely new to astronomy - in a city with light pollution.

Hello and welcome to SGL.

I also started with a binocular, The "Nikon Aculon 12x50".

You won't regret starting out this way(if you have patience) for a couple reasons:

1- Wide field of view (FOV) making it easy for you to find stuff;

2-Set up time is less than 3min if you use a tripod, other wise, its 0min;

3-It is simply the best way to learn your way around the night sky (learning to star hop);

4-You are using both eyes meaning you will actually see more even with 50mm aperture;

5- You will get some great views of a lot of Messier objects (m31-Andromeda galaxy, m42- Orion nebula, m45- Pleiades, a lot of open clusters and star clusters,etc) and the brightest planets ( venus, mars, Jupiter and a couple moons and saturn)

6- It costs less than the average beginner telescope;

7- Because you will learn to star hop easier, once you decide to jump to a telescope, you won't need a goto setup meaning you can save money for a larger aperture telescope.

8-Portability ( Binoculars are the most portable night sky visual instrument out there)

9-Even if you buy a telescope, it is always good to have a binocular as guide or for a quick gaze when the clouds give you a break :)

By the end of the month I'll order another Binocular (Helios Quantum4 15x70)

Have fun with whatever you choose mate :D

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all been said! Do try to find an astro club. I never do any astro unless I'm with mine. It's a lovely feeling watching the skies together, talking astro and having fun banter, with cups of tea and Jaffa cakes! You might find someone near you who'll be happy to ferry you. Get a nice reclining chair to support your head and neck when observing. Have a look for some nice, large globular clusters, Like M13. See here: http://www.astronomynow.com/news/n1305/14globulars/  And then there's the Orion Nebula (M42) which will be bright enough in binos and a lovely sight. It's a winter constellation so you'll need to wait a bit! Let us know how you get on.

Alexxx

Thank you everyone!

Glad to hear it's not impossible, just difficult. Difficult is okay.

AndyWB: Thanks for that, I'll keep that in mind. I look up some clear nights and can't see more than maybe 1 or 2 stars, so it's good to know it's still possible in light polluted areas once you have a binocular or telescope. & I see your point - that's part of the reason I'm choosing to start with binoculars is portability. I figured if I got a big telescope I'd never go out or get into it at all since there's not much place to set up a whole thing, and it's difficult to carry a lot around with me all the time.

Astrosurf: I looked into it, but they travel outside the city where no public transit goes for their star parties. I don't have a way to join them with no car. I wish I had a group to go with, it could be fun. I'll keep my eye open for others though.

Everyone has some great ideas, you've been so helpful!

Astrosurf: I looked into it, but they travel outside the city where no public transit goes for their star parties. I don't have a way to join them with no car. I wish I had a group to go with, it could be fun. I'll keep my eye open for others though.

It's still a good idea to join an Astroclub, perhaps once you get make some friends in the group, one would be willing to pick you up and take you out there with them. 

It's still a good idea to join an Astroclub, perhaps once you get make some friends in the group, one would be willing to pick you up and take you out there with them. 

That's what I thought. Good astro clubs are enthusiastic about helping others in the hobby, so why not give them a ring and ask if it's possible someone can give you a lift now and then. Maybe just for the bigger events? If they can't, at least you've tried.

Archived