Should Red Bull run the European Space Agency?

wuthton

In 2012 I watched Felix Baumgartner's record breaking skydive from the edge of space.

The internet live stream mainly consisted of Felix sat in a seat for a few hours, it could have been dull as ditch-water. But the coverage was excellent, it was interesting, exciting and educational.... I was glued to it.

Now on to yesterday, I fired up the computer to watch the Rosetta coverage. I'd secured a quiet hour at work, I was looking forward to it.

I turned it off after 30 minutes and went back to work. I intended to go back to it later but I didn't have time, I don't think I missed much.

I can't help thinking that if Rosetta had "Red Bull" scrawled down the side of it the coverage would of been much better, more inspiring. There may have even been a few more young eyes looking towards the stars last night. In the end it was dull, it should have and could have been exciting but no, it was dull.

Perhaps the ESA should employ the same television production team as Red Bull.  Maybe if space exploration "made good television" it wouldn't have so much trouble getting funding.

James

Rosetta goes faster than Sebastian Vettels's or (especially!) Daniel Ricciardo's Red Bull F1 cars, but the lap time is a bit too lengthy to sustain interest for many folks :icon_rolleyes:

I enjoy F1 very much but with some thought to production and presentation, Rosetta intercepting and orbiting a comet in the darkest depths of space could be way more exciting than cars driving round in circles.

The esa coverage improved after they had finished with the top brass :rolleyes: although the link was lagging at times, I had hoped one of the 24hr news prog's would do a live coverage but just pre taped stuff from what I could see.  

Archived