First images

Got kind of clear skys tonight so i got out with my new 700D

Quick Question

How do you use manual focus at night, do i focus in the daytime?

feel free to give tips and tricks, also what stacker do you use, ive used a few before but didn't like them

Cygnus

10518589_10204347305583029_1269486617018

Andromeda, you can see the galaxy :grin:

1926221_10204347305463026_18960202550006

Thats a very good start,

Focussing at night is tricky but easily doable with the use of liveview you may initially have to set the iso high but you should see a few stars on the screen then by zooming in you should start to see even more, I then choose a star that is off center and not too bright and use it to focus you can with adjustments of the ISO and focus get to a point where the star in view switches on/off with the slightest focus movement this is then focused. 

I am guessing that you may have tried DSS but stick with it it is a great piece of SW you may have to download the latest beta version with your camera.

With the modern Canon cameras dont be afraid to use ISO 800 or 1600 to get results.

Alan

Thats a very good start,

Focussing at night is tricky but easily doable with the use of liveview you may initially have to set the iso high but you should see a few stars on the screen then by zooming in you should start to see even more, I then choose a star that is off center and not too bright and use it to focus you can with adjustments of the ISO and focus get to a point where the star in view switches on/off with the slightest focus movement this is then focused. 

I am guessing that you may have tried DSS but stick with it it is a great piece of SW you may have to download the latest beta version with your camera.

With the modern Canon cameras dont be afraid to use ISO 800 or 1600 to get results.

Alan

i used a lower iso because the moon was out and the images were too bright

Yes you guessed right i do have DSS ill just stick with it and practice

thanks for the tips

I focus by using 10x Liveview on a fairly bright star.

Just take it steady and tweak the focus ring for the smallest tightest star.

thanks

hopefully get out tonight and take some longer exposures, i took about 10 last night but the clouds ruined the stacked image

Soo, Last night i took a 27min exposure(after stacking it was a bit less) and i was silly and turned noise reduction off, i also had a problem with the moon.

below is the stacked image un-processed, i tried to process it but the light from the moon ruined it

Is there a way around this?

Also feel free to save the image and have a go at processing as i would love to see what it would look like

stack_zps1ba11c54.jpg

Archived