NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200 PDS F5 or Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS Pro

Hi

I'm looking at buying my first astro imaging setup and am considering both of the above mounted on an EQ6 Goto mount. I wondered if anyone can recommend one over the other. Easy of use aside, obviously the 200 is a bit of a beast, can i expect to achieve significantly better images with one over the other?

Im predominantly interested in deep sky imaging.

Thanks for reading and all input is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to SGL

the 200 has a much narrower FOV than the 80ED
I have a 200p and I plan to buy an 80ED or Equinox specifically for imaging the larger DSO's

also not as prone to wind as the 200 which acts like a sail even in moderate winds cutting down exposure times

don't get me wrong the 200P is a good scope for DSO as well
its just when I try large objects like Andromeda they fill the sensor I'm just looking to get a larger FOV to get some background around the larger DSO's

Also it depends on what camera you are using, if its a DLSR you need the faster telescope (f5) - but if youre using a CCD then the 80ED goes from being a good scope, to a great scope.

You might also find the FOV offered by the 8" to be a little restrictive, depending on what you want to do (some DSO objects are surprisingly large!).

will be initially using a DSLR but will upgrade to a CCD  before christmas. Just pushed the button on a SkyWatcher EQ6 PRO SynScan GOTO mount which should arrive wednesday. Will take a trip to my local shop and have a look at the ED80's.

Archived