SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

new telescope

hello ive been saveing up for a couple of weeks now been looking at this telescope would just like to know what people thought of it is it anygood for the price i have a 6inch reflictor at the moment and been useing it alot for 2 years  its its good for a start but its upgrade time haha and does anyone know how i would go about getting it tracking for lx pictures i dont really want it to be a goto telescope becouse i love the hunt just as much as the image its amazing so hope im making a good choice with my new buy Revelation 16" f/4.5 M-CRF Truss Dobsonian (Black)

That's a whole lot of scope for the money, fabulous deep sky observing.

However, not trying to put you off, but a trip to Telescope House to see one in the flesh would be best, save a nasty shock if you have it delivered without checking size and weight.

A 16" Dob is wonderful, my club has one, but it's real a commitment by a club member to store it, transport it, and set it up. He also does the routine maintenance that's necessary.

An equatorial platform would be needed for tracking, so more expense. EQ platforms can be a DIY project, or purchased ready made, but make sure it's up to the task of carrying a very heavy scope.

Best to think of a 16" Dob as a visual scope.

Regards, Ed.

Good advice from Ed.

I have just upgraded from a 6'' to a 9 1/4'' OTA and the difference in size is a lot but not un-manageable. However the jump from 6'' to 16'' is a huge one. Will you have to move it far, the OTA is going to be a weighty affair.

Really if you want to go into long exposure imaging then buy a "small" equitorial mount and a small scope for it.

I just think that a 16" dobsonian is just never really going to be something that you could "tweek" to accomplish it.

If you buy an equitorial platform then the cost of one of them will get high and you could likely get yourself a suitable EQ mount and scope for much the same cost, especially if in no rush and you watch the used market.

I'd tend to agree with everyone else, that scope really isn't designed for astrophotography.

Personally I would get a different scope for taking photos with and then have this one as a visual only scope so you have something to do while your other one is busy taking photos.

Archived