NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opticstar CCD cameras?

Hello all,

I recently came across a British supplier of Opticstar cameras. I am not familiar with the company, but the features for a Peltier cooled mono CCD at the price make it an attractive proposition as a first deep sky camera. Below is the direct link for the website:

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_0_50_220

Does anyone know much about this range of cameras and their quality?

Thank you.

Their cameras are based on Tucsen lab cameras. They have them for a long time but they aren't that popular. The prices are just as high as for better brands (like Atik) so no point to pick risky 12/14 bit lab cameras.

Greatest respect to OpticStar - the guys inManchester are great - but I would stick to a major manufacturer where you can get advice and help here and on other forums.  Not sure what I would do without asking questions on here about my Atik 460.

Archived