local clubs

afternoon all, could not find a specific place to post this and so will try here. I have checked online and found out there is a club close to me the "Wycombe astronomical society" does anyone know anything about it, are they a friendly bunch. I have been to join groups before 'aero modelling, vintage car club' and been ignored. even trying to talk got a grunt and not much else, I have done better at archery though.

Only real option is to drop in and visit them one evening, seems you have one at Aylesbury and also the SW Herts club at Rickmansworth as well.

Just looked up the Rickmansworth one and they appear to meet up and also have an observing site with observatory as well. Makes it easy to meet up and observe.

A grunt isn't that bad, I have been to one when I never even got that. :eek: :eek: :eek:

And no I am not joking.

So you have managed more then me. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Which Archery Club ??

What I'd do is to go along and find out.  For many folk, it's not easy to mix / join up with a new bunch, and the first visit can give a different impression to how the club actually is, so maybe a few visits is best to find your feet. Of course, it's a two way ticket, try to say hello yourself, mention you are new, maybe ask if there's someone to let you know what goes on, where and when.

At my club, we do try hard to make new folk feel welcome, and have a dedicated " new member " person specifically for that purpose, but we do ask that everyone is welcoming.

Hope you decide to give it a try, and find a great new bunch of friends  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

hi ronin, yes at least at the model club I was acknowledged as being there. I was for a year or so till recent a member of the silver arrows archery club using long bow till house stuff got in the way!

Only real option is to drop in and visit them one evening, seems you have one at Aylesbury and also the SW Herts club at Rickmansworth as well.

Just looked up the Rickmansworth one and they appear to meet up and also have an observing site with observatory as well. Makes it easy to meet up and observe.

A grunt isn't that bad, I have been to one when I never even got that. :eek: :eek: :eek:

And no I am not joking.

So you have managed more then me. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Which Archery Club ??

[hi ngc 1502, luckily I am between Aylesbury and Wycombe clubs and they meet on different days so could go to both. I usually try to talk to people I don't expect them to come to mequote name=NGC 1502" post="2375209" timestamp="1405521666]

What I'd do is to go along and find out.  For many folk, it's not easy to mix / join up with a new bunch, and the first visit can give a different impression to how the club actually is, so maybe a few visits is best to find your feet. Of course, it's a two way ticket, try to say hello yourself, mention you are new, maybe ask if there's someone to let you know what goes on, where and when.

At my club, we do try hard to make new folk feel welcome, and have a dedicated " new member " person specifically for that purpose, but we do ask that everyone is welcoming.

Hope you decide to give it a try, and find a great new bunch of friends  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

• 4 weeks later...

went along to the Wycombe branch meet last night. they had pinned astronomical photos taken by members around the hall and we had to vote for the best. not having a clue I picked hose head.  I also found out what stacking is, not what I thought! very friendly bunch shall be going back : )

I've been meaning to go along to WAS for two years !!  Something always gets in the way though. Now I know they're friendly, I'll maybe give them a try.

Thanks for doing the groundwork for me!!

just watch out for the sleeping policemen on the drive, my car grounds out (she is a bit low)

Archived