ngc 7380 (Wizard Neb) in Ha

ChrisLX200

This was more faint than expected, and the bright moon tended to wash details out and produce a light background. Not a good choice for tonight then. This is the result of stacking 7 x 20min subs. Scope was my NP127is (no reducer this time).

HaST_zpsfb8ff920.jpg

ChrisH

You're becoming one of the most prolific posters on here now Chris! They just keep getting better as well, this version of the Wizard is a cracker. Presumably this is H-alpha data, if so, maybe capture some OIII on a forthcoming moonless night to get a great colour version of this.

Martin

You're becoming one of the most prolific posters on here now Chris! They just keep getting better as well, this version of the Wizard is a cracker. Presumably this is H-alpha data, if so, maybe capture some OIII on a forthcoming moonless night to get a great colour version of this.

Martin

LOL! Probably because I'm one of the few daft enough to be trying under moonlight and these short nights.  Many thanks though :)

I dumped the two worst subs and re-stacked and processed the data again. Flipped it around and cropped to the interesting bit. Result looks a little better but still needs more Ha subs, then yes - I'll try to collect some OIII and SII.

HaST001_zpsf07323fb.jpg

ChrisH

Yep, there are a few of us nutters imaging under strong moonlight ;) me included

Good idea to manually sort the subs Chris, as ive also found that less is sometimes more. But youve gotten the most important bits (nicely), so once the moon slings its hook - you can add the finer details :)

Yep, there are a few of us nutters imaging under strong moonlight ;) me included

Good idea to manually sort the subs Chris, as ive also found that less is sometimes more. But youve gotten the most important bits (nicely), so once the moon slings its hook - you can add the finer details :)

According to the forecast it will (might) be clear tonight - and with that fat 'SuperMoon' it will be another night of washed-out subs :) 

ChrisH

Funnily enough, despite the really bright moon tonight atmospheric transparency is excellent - so there's very little scatter of the moonlight. I'm pointing well away from the moon (in Cephus) and the subs are not too washed out. Still collecting narrow band stuff though, I should finish the Ha and get some OIII tonight.

ChrisH

Funnily enough, despite the really bright moon tonight atmospheric transparency is excellent - so there's very little scatter of the moonlight. I'm pointing well away from the moon (in Cephus) and the subs are not too washed out. Still collecting narrow band stuff though, I should finish the Ha and get some OIII tonight.

ChrisH

Hi Chris,

I am on this target at the moment with a wide set up and Ha filter, the transparency over here is OK but those ugly slow dispersing vapour trails left by the jet liners are a real nuisance. Why do they all insist on flying through Cepheus? Your capture is truly excellent though, that TV 127 seems to be the buisness.

Regards,

A.G

You're right about the contrails, if it isn't that it's satellite trails....

I've finished the Ha now, 4 hours worth in 20 min subs. I've done a quick process and crop, it is much smoother now I think.

First couple of OIII subs show very little so I won't be spending a huge length of time on those.

NGC7380Crop_zpsefeed427.jpg

and I'll throw in a 100% crop showing some of the detail captured:

NGC7380close_zpsdb3a1356.jpg

ChrisH

Archived