Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adding Narrowband Filters to DSLR

Hi all

So I have this monochrome 1100d which I bought ages ago but haven't done anything with yet! I was thinking of using it in widefield mode with a Canon 75-300mm lens and bolted on top of the scope. Can anyone foresee any problems with attaching 2" NB filters to the front of the lens? I'd probably start with just H-alpha first to see how it goes. Obviously I'll get lots of noise with long exposures but have to live with that. The main thing I'm wondering about is having filters at the front rather than close to the sensor? 

Thanks for any feedback

Louise

There's no reason why you cannot do it - just that the NB filters in 2" flavour are expensive (likely higher value than the camera) and you will have some difficulty focusing/framing because the image will be significantly dimmer as a result of the filter being there.

chrisH

I suspect the front element on the big zoom would be larger than the 48mm/2" diameter filter too, so effectively you'd be stopping it down. Still do-able through the use of step-down rings.

ChrisH

Hi

Slightly, yes, though it's F4 - F5.6 (75-300mm) so stopped down a lot internally anyway.  Teleskop-Express do a 58mm to 2" filter adapter ring :)

Louise

Oh well, ordered a set of Baaders today - on special offer at FLO! :) They should come tomorrow but I'll have to wait until Thursday to get the adapter from Germany - deutschland über alles!!

Of course, it's bound to be cloudy for weeks...

Archived