NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can I use Deep Sky Stacker for stacking milky way lights and darks?

Hi all,

Please can somebody guide me in using DSS for imaging the milky way with some foreground in the image?

Can DSS be used in the same way as I use it to stack nebulae, clusters etc or is there a better program for images taken using a DSLR on a fixed tripod?

Many thanks

Bob

Yes you can use DSS for stacking the milky way.  The foreground stuff will be smeared though as the milky way will move and DSS will stack the stars.  this is known and accepted.  

What you can do if you want to show the foreground is make a copy of what is in the foreground and re-paste it back in afterwards if you wish.

Carole 

Yes you can use DSS for stacking the milky way. The foreground stuff will be smeared though as the milky way will move and DSS will stack the stars. this is known and accepted.

What you can do if you want to show the foreground is make a copy of what is in the foreground and re-paste it back in afterwards if you wish.

Carole

Thanks Carole, just what I wanted to here - very much appreciated

Bob

Archived