NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal Reducer (F/6.3) for Visual on a C11

I am wanting to get wider views for the star clusters of summer... Would this piece of equipment make a C11 a dual Telescope... it sounds to good to be true ! Could anybody tell me of their experiences with an F/6.3 Focal Reducer and Visual Observing... Thx

Clear and DARK Skies !

Here's the problem; the baffle tube imposes a field of view limit. You can usefully use the reducer visually if you only have a 1.25 back and 1.25 EPs. But if you have a 2 inch back and wide EPs you can go as wide with less glass and get a better image. There is no point in using the reducer with a good 2 inch widefield because it will reduce magnification without increasing the FOV. I found the views with a good 2 inch widefield EP far better than those with a focally reduced 1.25 inch.

Olly

Olly;

I have a 2"  reducer...Celestron #92175..it will thread into my MOONLITE FOCUSER...so I am thinking that it should work well with an EP up to 50mm... But I will test it as soon as we get a good clear sky...and I will post the results !

Mark

I went Baader 2" SCT adaptor and click lock. That's much better. The reducer made by Celestron is ok but vignetting and coma are evident. It is only really useable at the centre of view presumably for the reasons quoted by Olly.

Olly;

I have a 2"  reducer...Celestron #92175..it will thread into my MOONLITE FOCUSER...so I am thinking that it should work well with an EP up to 50mm... But I will test it as soon as we get a good clear sky...and I will post the results !

Mark

You won't increase the field in a 2 inch 50mm by using the reducer. It will be cropped by the baffle tube.

Olly

Archived