Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 1st July 14 - Medium to poor seeing

DrRobin

Hi,

It looked quite clear, but I guess it wasn't and the seeing was quite jumpy to boot.  I think this might be my last this season.  Saturn in RRGB, 10% from 4,000 frames per colour.  C11, ASI120MM at F/10.

Robin

post-10602-0-58779000-1404335065_thumb.j

4000 frames for red, then green and finally blue, so 12,000 frames in total, taken with a mono camera and coloured filters. You use a webcam (video) and shoot at around 40 frames per second, so each colour takes 100 seconds. Stacking software then takes the best frames from the video and stacks (adds) them together to improve contrast and reduce noise. Stack each colour, then combine to provide a colour image.

Ah I see. Thank you DrRobin.

Learn something new etc...so it's video, with a webcam. This is different then to locking a DSLR (say) onto a telescope?  I'll go check out the Imaging FAQs...How does one get a webcam to take video from a scope? Electronic link I guess - like HDMI. So much to explore here! Talking of imaging, I must  also have a gander at the Microscopy section again :) 

Archived