Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Sol

The merest break in cloud for a long, long time early this evening gave me my first glimpse of His Majesty, the Bright One, through my newly-acquired Solarmax. And I loved it.

Picked out three or four prominences(?) and what looked like a long crack across the 'surface'. Until today I'd only managed a quick look at sun spots in white light, through a Baader filter.

I'm happy already but, looking forward to more viewing, can older hands at the 'art' give me any tips? I use the word 'art' because that's how I saw solar observing described somewhere. 'Tuning', rather than 'focusing', and 'training the eye' were other words that made an impression.

I'm using a Cemax 12mm EP, giving 33x mag I calculate. This gives me a full disc in the view. Is higher/lower mag a good/bad thing? Should I experiment with my other (non-Ha) EPs? Will a 2.5x Powermate be worthwhile? Is there anything I should avoid (apart from the obvious dangers)?

Grateful for any input at all from those more experienced in looking on the bright side ...

Hi Gordon,

Congrats on the new scope and welcome to observing in glorious Ha. I'm sure your first taste will have left you thirsting for more!

If what you saw were flames coming off the edge (limb) of the suns disk, then yes, you most definitely saw prominences (proms). They're spectacular to view. Different every day and worth the entry price into Ha observing alone, I think. The "crack" across the surface you saw is known as a Filament. The one you've observed has been present for awhile now and is a fine example. A filament is basically a prom seen head on against the face of the suns disk. With further observation, you'll notice there are a few other, smaller filaments also gracing the suns surface at the moment.

Absolutely, try your other EP's in your Solarmax. Most will work just fine. Try upping the magnification onto active regions of the suns limb. I love viewing the entire disk, but it's also nice to take things in for a bit of a closer look.

Ha observing requires both focussing of the scope AND tuning of the scopes internal etalon. This, to my understanding, adjusts the wingshift into either the blue or red end of the Ha spectrum, thus adjusting the contrast, which in turn determines which details/features are more prominent in the view. There are others on here with a much greater understanding of how it all works, so I will leave it to them to explain better, which I'm sure they will. As for training your eye, I have found it as relevant with Ha observing as with all other astronomical viewing, perhaps even more so. Many of the features you are viewing will be very very subtle to begin with, but keep looking... The more you look, the more you will see!

What size Solarmax did you purchase?

Congrats again and look forward to hearing further of your enjoyment with your new scope.

Aaron

Ahh, I see it is the Solarmax 40. Nice one, it should provide you with some lovely views. It'll take some magnification just fine, but don't push it too far or you'll begin to run out of light and start losing the faint detail.

All the best.

Thanks for your encouraging and enlightening reply, Aaron.

My 'first taste' has, indeed, left me thirsting for more and I'm looking forward to trying different EPs, learning more about what I'm seeing and, generally, having fun. That's the watchword for me.

Even my wife - who indulges my interest but is mostly underwhelmed by it all - was impressed with our views of the sun. I'll have to take care she doesn't get too interested, though, in case she tries to hijack my scope! :-)

Clear skies to you - night and day. (Suppose it's not possible to get the rain we need without SOME clouds, mind you!)

p.s. That's an awesome 'précis' of kit in your sig! I've noticed it before on other posts you've made. It reads like the stock sheet of an astronomy equipment shop!

You're welcome Gordon. Ha observing has added such a brilliant element to my joy of astronomy... I'm sure it'll do the same for you!

The sun has a knack for getting genuine wows from those were only planning on appeasing us :)

P.s. Thanks. It's really quite a ridiculous signature. I consider it more of an inventory, really, as most of it is packed in the corner just waiting to be used more!

Archived