Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pelican nebula first half decent DSO, still a long way to go

still trying to get a grip on the processing side of things but seem to be getting there
over the 24th and 26th I got some good runs on the pelican nebula area and I downloaded Pixinsight to try it out
I'm getting a lot more star detail out of my raw files but finding it difficult to get the colour right
every time I try I always seem to end up with something different with way too much red, green or blue
and after several online tutorials I'm still scratching my head but have had some success mostly by accident

anyway heres a few of my efforts so far
where you can see the big variation in the results from the same data

any tips or advice more than welcome

post-34443-0-77046000-1404000355_thumb.p

post-34443-0-11061700-1404000489_thumb.p

looking good - Pixinisght Dynamic Background Extraction (DBE) should fix a lot of that for you, see Harry's video here - http://harrysastroshed.com/pixinsight/pixinsight%20video%20files/2013%20pix%20vids/dbe/dbe.mp4

Just be careful that none of your sample points fall on any of the nebulosity, or on any stars.  I sometimes run DBE a few times, just click on 'normalise' after the first run otherwise it gets darker and darker.

DBE will sort out most of the overal colour cast, but you'll probably want to do proper colour calibration after that, as here - http://harrysastroshed.com/pixinsight/pixinsight%20video%20files/2013%20pix%20vids/ccfinal/ccfinal.mp4

Archived