GSO plosls-would they work with a Meade lightbridge?

LB-10-LB

Before I got the 68o MaxVisions, I used the 9mm and 12m all the time with no problems on the 200p Dob.

I still use my 9mm Revelation plossl barlowed up to 290x magnification on the moon when conditions allow (which isn't very often)

Plus points =

- sharp view

- light weight

- cheap as chips

Negative points =

- only 52 degrees

- there is a very fine hit / miss sweet spot when focusing compared to Maxvisions / ES 82's / or the Delos

- They all look the same in the dark - I can't tell which one is 12mm, and which one is 9mm without the lights on.

The 2.5x barlow is excellent, however you need to be aware that:

- It is really a 2.2x barlow (not 2.5x)

- The focal point will move in towards the scope by about 15mm when using the Barlow - so you will need plenty of inward travel.

The GSO / Revelation kit will work fine on a big dob.

Revelation use the 9mm as the standard eyepiece on their 16-inch version.

But you will be itching for a 68 or 82 degree view eventually.

I would advise putting the £23 price of a Plossl off a 68o Maxvision / or the 60o BST's or X-cel's

Unless your light bridge has a tracker, the wider views will help you to star hop, find more stuff, and keep it in view for longer.

As Meade tend to use GSO items, I would expect that the primary and secondary are GSO items, and I would expect that on a 10" they supplied plossl's then you could simply wait to see how the supplied items perform and if they are OK then you could then get the GSO plossl's.

The presumption being that Meade supply plossl's with the scope (likely) and that they are rebadged GSO plossl's (equal likely).

As Meade tend to use GSO items, I would expect that the primary and secondary are GSO items, and I would expect that on a 10" they supplied plossl's then you could simply wait to see how the supplied items perform and if they are OK then you could then get the GSO plossl's.

The presumption being that Meade supply plossl's with the scope (likely) and that they are rebadged GSO plossl's (equal likely).

Doesn't the Light-bridge come with the 26mm QX eyepiece? Widely held to be one of the worst performing wideangle eyepieces ever produced :(

GSO Plossls should 'work' with your new scope but at f/5 it is starting be more of a challenge to eyepieces and would benefit from better performing occulars. The Maxvisions referred to above should perform very well. I use the ES version in my f/4.7 10" and this is very nice. The BST eyepieces also have very good feedback but I haven't used one myself.

I had assumed that they provided 2 plossl's as they used to on their scopes, not sure it is still plossl's or not. But for a 10" I would expected plossl's at least.

Usually a couple of odd focal lengths like 26mm and 9mm.

Were generally pretty good however.

So if not a Meade plossl it will be a Meade something or other, no idea about the QX's.

However as they are close to unknown I suppose that means they didn't deliver much.

As you say f/5 is where plossl's start to struggle.

As I suspect a 10" f/5 will show some coma I would think that better then a standard plossl was required.

Before I got the 68o MaxVisions, I used the 9mm and 12m all the time with no problems on the 200p Dob.

I still use my 9mm Revelation plossl barlowed up to 290x magnification on the moon when conditions allow (which isn't very often)

Plus points =

- sharp view

- light weight

- cheap as chips

Negative points =

- only 52 degrees

- there is a very fine hit / miss sweet spot when focusing compared to Maxvisions / ES 82's / or the Delos

- They all look the same in the dark - I can't tell which one is 12mm, and which one is 9mm without the lights on.

- It is really a 2.2x barlow (not 2.5x)

- The focal point will move in towards the scope by about 15mm when using the Barlow - so you will need plenty of inward travel.

The GSO / Revelation kit will work fine on a big dob.

Revelation use the 9mm as the standard eyepiece on their 16-inch version.

But you will be itching for a 68 or 82 degree view eventually.

I would advise putting the £23 price of a Plossl off a 68o Maxvision / or the 60o BST's or X-cel's

Unless your light bridge has a tracker, the wider views will help you to star hop, find more stuff, and keep it in view for longer.

So i have to look closer to the eyepiece not further away?

Doesn't the Light-bridge come with the 26mm QX eyepiece? Widely held to be one of the worst performing wideangle eyepieces ever produced :(

Yes they do. I think it's only Skywatcher that comes with the two eyepieces. The 26mm QX is a 2" eyepiece and looks lovely. It's a poor performer though :tongue:

I think the OP may have got a little confused by Reeny's post perhaps ?

Just realized that the eyepiece that comes with my telescope is really good for deep sky observing it is not good at anything else Im going to buy a 9mm focal length celestron X-cel eyepiece and an explore scientific

Maxvision 68° Eyepiece 16mm

With a GSO barlow 2,5x I will buy a TS colliminator and I will not buy a light shroud ill put a nylon shirt over my scope or ill think of something im not going to spend 50 euros to order a nylon rag from america :D

I ll buy a 9x50 90 degree sky watcher finder with a thing i can hang it on with the scope. (with a star diagonal)

That all ads up to about 300 euro HOLY ................ well i dont have that much this is the cheapest good-quality and most needed accesories i will need for my telescope ill buy a filter if i earn up enough money.

Now i have 40 euro so itll take about another 3 years  i dont have Birthdays anymore hmm but i do have christmases and easter ill need to get a part-time job i guess wish me luck :D

The MaxVision 16mm works very very well with the GSO / Revelation Barlow

The Revelation Barlow will be cheaper at £32 (plus £3 postage) http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_Astro_2_5x_Barlow_Lens.html

If my guestimate is correct, the 2.2x or 2.3x barlow magnification will give you an equivalent of 7mm from the 16mm MaxVision.

The 2.5x 16mm combination is my default setting in the Skywatcher 200p dob.

The actual magnification for me is around 165x (at 1200mm focal length).

So i have to look closer to the eyepiece not further away?

Sorry - I explained that badly.

The eye relief will be the same, so you don't need to move your eye any nearer to the eyepiece when using the Barlow.

But the eyepiece focal point will move nearer to the secondary mirror.

So you will need to move the eyepiece assembly by rolling the focus tube back into the scope, until it nearly hits the stop.

This isn't a problem once you get used to turning it 3 or 4 turns in to use the Barlow, then 3 or 4 turns out again.

I think the 200p Explorer scope runs out of travel using this Barlow.

But the 200p Dob is OK.

Archived