NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Semi permanent base for a dobsonian?

Manok101

What I'd love to do is be able to design a scope in which I could leave the base outside, but still be able to move it if I wanted or had to, or is this not really feasible? i want to have to move as little as possible since the viewing place will always be the same. Would leaving the part of the telescope outside with the mirror damage it in any way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

if the tube was watertight or covered there would'nt be an issue, a cover is better, also when I have left stuff out use a low power dew heater on primary to stop dew forming as temps rise quickly in the morning. As to thye base , a lazy susan correctly lubed and with a drip ring to slow water ingress would work, yacht varnish would help protect the timber.

It's not something I'd ever do: leave a telescope out exposed to the elements for a prolonged period of time.

However, if you can be sure that it won't get rained / snowed on, that the sun won't shine directly onto the mirror and set fire to your eyepiece holder, that it won't blow over in the wind, that insects won't make it their home and that the local animals won't "mark" it :eek:  and that all the atmospheric dust that condenses with the dew won't gunge up your bearings and your focuser - well then, it might be OK.

But I still wouldn't risk it, personally.

Archived