NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1000d focal length

Mav359

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me what the focal length of a Canon 1000d with a 18-55mm Lens on is.

The Camera is mounted on the OTA for me to do widefield shots with but i like to have all my sensor details in stellarium so i can use the reticules to plan shots ahead. I have actually had the details before but i re-formatted my PC & i can't find them now.

The dimeter of the Lens assembly is 35mm but i don't know how to work out the focal length with the lens thats on the camera.

Is it just 55mm (the lens zoomed out)????

Cheers

Yes. The focal length is 18mm at the wide setting and 55mm when zoomed in. The aperture in mm can be calculated from the f-stop setting and the focal length you zoom to. E.g. 55mm and f4 the aperture would be 13.75mm.

Not necessarily 3.21, they will restrict the light internally with field stops to achieve a sharper image.

Also there will be several lens and if you assume 2% loss at each air/glass interface the lens themselves will cause the f number to be slower.

You are most likely looking at f/4 to f/5 as a best speed.

What does the lens say on it?

I have always used  Aperture = Focal Length/ Focal Ratio for generating the Reticules and the results are pretty close if you put the resulting images  though a plate solver...

I tend to make sure there some room around the target anyway as the edges of the image can be a bit ropey and can then be cropped off.. 

Peter...

Archived