Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Old brass ep to 1.25 conversion

Naz

Can anyone help, I have an anceint 3" refractor, and it has brass ep's, threaded. They are pretty poor by even the cheapest modern ep's. I have had the scope for a while, but until I got a decent(?) eq2,mount I had not used it. At the weekend it had for me, first light, I was dissapointed, :( until I dug out a 20mm plossel, I had to unscrew the mount and hold the ep against the brass tube, :lol: :lol: :lol: Saturn was clear, stars jumped out at me :lol::D :D

The problem, fitting modern ep's to a brass threaded tube, any suggestions

Ta

Nabban

Can anyone help, I have an anceint 3" refractor, and it has brass ep's, threaded. They are pretty poor by even the cheapest modern ep's. I have had the scope for a while, but until I got a decent(?) eq2,mount I had not used it. At the weekend it had for me, first light, I was dissapointed, :( until I dug out a 20mm plossel, I had to unscrew the mount and hold the ep against the brass tube, :lol: :lol: :lol: Saturn was clear, stars jumped out at me :lol::D :D

The problem, fitting modern ep's to a brass threaded tube, any suggestions

Ta

Nabban

Not a problem I can see, what size are the brass EP's? Any idea of the thread? If you can unscrew the mount - send it to me and I'll do something with it for you.

Arthur

Thanks for the offer Arthur, I don't know the thread size, suspect it could be RAS? I will photo the set up tomorrow, and send you the pics. Let me know how much you want for it.

I used to live down your way, many moons ago, in the north of the county, still got family there.

Nabban

Thanks for the offer Arthur, I don't know the thread size, suspect it could be RAS? I will photo the set up tomorrow, and send you the pics. Let me know how much you want for it.

I used to live down your way, many moons ago, in the north of the county, still got family there.

Nabban

Hmm - can you not post down the part you unscrewed? I can then adapt that to 1.25" fitting for you. Won't cost much - prolly a fiver tops. It's only going to be a bit of turning after all and besides, Grant just done me a *big* favour and I'm feeling smug :sunny:

Arthur

Here you are Arthur, a poor picture of the old gal and your handy work. I can just achieve focus, but I intend to shorten the tube a few inches to allow a diagonal, and easier viewing.

Nabban

image.jpg

image.jpg

Rings on order. In the words of Johnny Cash "One bit at a time"

Mind you, when you mount it on a 'slack Alice' gem, hopefully they will counter act each other, especially in the wind up here.

I went to the post office this afternoon, you should have it Tuesday, last post for the weekend goes at 11.00 on a saturday.

Once again thanks

Archived