NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ultra Cheap IKEA Scope Bag

Wikiastro

Hi,

I recently got my first "serious" scope, a Skywatcher 150p, and I needed a way to transport/store it.  It lived in the box for a while, with the (mostly intact) original polystyrene packaging, but I needed a better solution at a low cost having blown the budget on the scope.

So, I found one of these bags under our bed, doing nothing important.

frakta-trunk-for-trolley__0093264_PE2304

It's exactly the right length for the scope and is a very sturdy plastic weave, a bargain at £2.50 from IKEA.  However, it offered no protection to the scope.  I contacted a local upholsterer and gave him the measurements.  £9 for 1 inch foam to line the entire thing.  I then spent an hour last night sticking it in with double sided tape.  Looks like it'll do the job for now.  I also just aquired a flight case for my rather limited collection of bits and pieces.

post-35179-0-66050700-1402849117_thumb.j

post-35179-0-82685200-1402849136_thumb.j

As a bonus, £9 for one of these too, but the wheels look a little flimsy for any interesting dark sky sites.  May not bother with one for now.

frakta-trolley__0093265_PE232014_S4.JPG

Very nice solution :-)

Long lives IKEA !!!1!!eleven!!!1!

I looked for one of those carts as well, and found one similar to http://www.overstock.com/#/Health-Beauty/3-in-1-Shopping-Cart-Backpack-Folding-Chair-with-Wheels/6527752/product.html at eBay for around 15€...

Frame Backpack with wheels and seat. May look odd but does what it needs to do. Load with 10" sumerian, walk to observation site, unload, assemble, take a seat ;-)

I will build a nicer looking one though. You get what you pay for...

• 2 weeks later...

The trollies are a lot tougher than they look, I bought one to transport my scope around in a flight case, it also gets used on ikea furniture runs. Your right about the wheels though, they sink straight into soft soil....wonder if I can pop them off and swap for something a little more off road.....

Archived