If you're using Eqmod without Astrotortilla you must be mad.

wuthton

I've been a long time lurker on this forum and must thank all the contributers who with endless patience take the time to answer newbie questions, repeatedly more often than not.

I'm from the school of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so I haven't bothered with Astrotortilla.

My wifes away and with nothing better to do last night I figured I'd try it out.

I roughly polar aligned with eqmod, picked a random part of sky and set astrotortilla to solve.

Holy wow, it is all four shades of fantastic! Star aligned in about a minute with no faff.

I then tried the polar alignment feature, utterly amazing. With a slight tighten of the appropriate bolts, nearly perfect polar alignment in less than 10 minutes.

When it works it is great. Its a thing to behold as it automatically takes an image, plate-solves it and re-centres.

I find it a bit flaky though and had issues with it freezing and then having to be killed via Task Manager. One trick that i've learned is to change EQMOD from "Append on Sync" to "Dialogue Based" will help to cut down on the freezing.

When it works it is great. Its a thing to behold as it automatically takes an image, plate-solves it and re-centres.

I find it a bit flaky though and had issues with it freezing and then having to be killed via Task Manager. One trick that i've learned is to change EQMOD from "Append on Sync" to "Dialogue Based" will help to cut down on the freezing.

Thanks for that, I haven't used it in anger yet so I'll keep that mind.

Archived