NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DFK/OSX selfie

JamesF

There's some way to go with this yet, but as I'm rather chuffed to have got this far I thought I'd post a couple of pics of oaCapture running on my Macbook displaying images of itself from a DFK21.618...

dfk-osx-1.jpg

dfk-osx-2.jpg

I've got a fair few things to sort out before this can be let loose on the world -- some of the cameras work and some don't depending on which version of the UVC spec they almost comply with and I may have made some assumptions about frame sizes that aren't actually valid so I need to go back and check that out.

What I have is a moderately complete user-space implementation of a UVC camera driver, so it may be that one day cameras such as the Lifecams could be supported.  That would mean writing all sorts of code for decoding YUY2 and other video frame formats though and I'm not desperately keen to get involved in that at the moment, so it can wait for another day.

James

I've just found that supporting enough of the UVC1.1 spec to get my DMK working wasn't that hard either, so that's looking good.  Just need to find another CCTV lens to put on it for proper testing.  I bought a few from Hong Kong on ebay recently for offensively little so I don't have to keep swapping them between cameras and getting the sensors dusty.

James

And now I've found the lenses, this one is running on Linux, but it's using the UVC user-space driver that I use for OSX rather than the kernel driver so a reasonably fair test (I did all the required coding for the UVC driver on Linux, then took it to OSX for testing earlier this evening).  This is a DMK21.

dmk-osx.png

I've just realised that one thing I'd largely forgotten for this set of cameras is the frame rate control.  Like I said: there's still a way to go yet :)

James

Archived