NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron focuser upgrade...recommendations?

Hi.
Very new to astronomy.....and loads to learn.   :icon_confused:

I have a Celestron 8 inch reflector with the standard 2 inch focuser. I  have trouble fine focusing at times, especially when 'trying' to image {new to it}.

There is quite a bit of play between the barrel of the focuser and the focuser tube which doesn't help matters. Also, as soon as I touch the focuser the image vibrates all over the place.

I have 2 questions I hope someone might be able to help me with:

1. My budget is limited at the moment. The most I can pay is 150 pounds for an upgrade. Can I get anything that would be an improvement' over the standard focuser for this sort of money? I've really tried hard looking for used ones but they seem to be like hens teeth. :shocked:   Can anyone recommend a focuser, bearing in mind I would like to do DSLR imaging. I can actually achieve focus with my Canon 350d with my current set up.

2. I would ideally like to motorize my focuser in the near future {got a DIY project going on with servos} So, is there any point in getting a dual speed focuser as I would incorporate speed regulation into the auto focuser?

Many thanks in anticipation, Howard

Hi Howard,

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'reflector'. Do you mean a newt or an SCT?

Either way I bought the Revelation 2" Superfocus Rack & Pinion focuser for my C8 (SCT) and it is a vast improvement on the basic focus knob. The rack and pinion focusers are more stable than the basic ones and you can lock them in position when you have achieved focus, so they wont move under the weight of the camera. However, no focuser on it's own will get rid of that wobble you get as soon as you touch anything on your scope or mount. That is why I made my own electronic focuser based on Gina's original concept.

Hi Howard,

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'reflector'. Do you mean a newt or an SCT?

Either way I bought the Revelation 2" Superfocus Rack & Pinion focuser for my C8 (SCT) and it is a vast improvement on the basic focus knob. The rack and pinion focusers are more stable than the basic ones and you can lock them in position when you have achieved focus, so they wont move under the weight of the camera. However, no focuser on it's own will get rid of that wobble you get as soon as you touch anything on your scope or mount. That is why I made my own electronic focuser based on Gina's original concept.

Sorry......should have been clearer. I have an 8 inch newtonian

Archived