SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eq8 polar alignment

Turning the scope is not the point- it is the axis of the mount you are adjusting  so the RA rotates very close to the polar axis - you need to ensure the RA axis is close to north then use your polar scope and adjust the mounts altitude and azimuth- hope that makes sense - best wishes Tony

As long as it doesn't obscure your view through the polarscope it doesn't matter where your main scope is pointing. Note that when you are perfectly polar aligned you'll be able to point the scope anywhere in the sky, so the alignment of the mount is independent of the alignment of the main scope. As stated above, it is the mount you are polar aligning. That is, the part of the mount that will not move as you slew the scope.

To get roughly polar aligned, set the mount head to your latitude - which will be about 51 degrees - and pointing upwards towards the north. You'll then need to know where on the reticle to put Polaris once you can see it through the plolar scope. Put your longitude and latitude, the date and the time GMT into this and it will give you a Polaris position for your reticle. http://www.trutek-uk.com/takahashi/polarisfinder1-2en.htm

Move the mount adjusters, not the RA and Dec adjusters, to get it in the right place.

Olly

I've noticed

That when looking though the polar scope and placing polars In the small circle and pointing a laser from the side of the mount ( from the plate that scope is sat on in DEC ) the laser is pointing way off

This is after the auto home position is done

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Does the mount head need to be level.. I've heard the base doesn't need to be 100 %

it doesn't need to be level, though when using the handset to do the PA it makes the process a little easier.

Also the base plate are measuring great north to south and west to east

I don't understand that piece?

Sorry does the mount plate that sits on the pier plate need to be level in what directions :)

It's not compulsory for it to be absolutely level as the process of polar alignment will put the RA axis in the correct orientation. 

Having it level does make the Synscan PA routine a little easier though as you will only need to adjust the Alt or Az on their own when required, rather than having to use a combination of both.

• 2 years later...

Archived