Barlow's ?

Hi Alex, yes, that was me, I had also been thinking about it for a month, it really is a lovely piece and goes well with my four ES82's, they are just so well made and solid.  Delivery was good, I ordered it yesterday and it came this morning, really good service from Alan.

I was so close to pushing that buy it now button the day before you, you pipped me to the line :grin: , but thought to wait as not a high prio item for me, since my funds are now building closer to adding a Delos to family, had I bought the ES extender that would have delayed that more,  so perhaps you did me a good service  :0)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was so close to pushing that buy it now button the day before you, you pipped me to the line :grin: , but thought to wait as not a high prio item for me, since my funds are now building closer to adding a Delos to family, had I bought the ES extender that would have delayed that more,  so perhaps you did me a good service  :0)

I like to help out where I can, don't know why I didn't buy when I first saw them.

I used to hate Barlows, but I must say, the PowerMate and TeleXtenders I have are fine quality wise. They just magnify and "get out of the way" in all other areas. Having said that, I still do not like using Barlows for visual use. Swapping (and uncapping/re-capping) EPs is not much of a hassle, but somehow inserting a Barlow is more. Usually, I do not want to jump a factor of 2 (or even 1.5) between magnifications, so having a series of EPs with a Barlow to fill in gaps, means removing an EP, capping it, uncapping and inserting the Barlow, uncapping and inserting a longer EP, etc. It sounds silly perhaps, but I get annoyed at having to do this. I now use my TeleXtenders and Powermate exclusively for planetary imaging. I can imagine that a Barlow would work better with zoom EPs, where it allows you to select a certain range of focal lengths, and play around with that. You zoom in to the largest magnification, and if you want to go higher, insert the Barlow and zoom out to start more-or-less where you had left off.

Archived