Using a Microsoft Lifecam Cinema as a guide camera

romanfort

Hey
I have seen some other threads about using the lifecam cinema as a guide camera, but i was wondering if anyone has any experience using one with a 50x9 finderscope? And if they do, how did they attach it to the finderscope? Be very grateful for some help, I am a newby in the webcam would of astronomy.

Sorry if this is a repeat of any old threads, 

Many thanks  :laugh:

Hello and welcome.

If you email Bernard at Modern Astronomy, he will be able to help you with the adapter you will need to modify your finderscope.

http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accAdapters

I was going to use the same webcam, saw he didn't have the webcam listed and I think he made one up for me.

Can't tell you how well it worked because my plans changed before I got round to testing it out.

I don't guide with anything at the moment as I gave astrophotography ago but lost patience so I just do planetary.

It would be with the QHY5L-ii which is a guide camera and planetary camera in one. 

Ahh Yes, I have been tinkering for a while now. When I started I got a few very poor photos easily and thought to myself "This easy, no problem at all......"
It took a few very cold nights to realize the challenge I had embarked upon, still it is very rewarding.

Rigged up a rudimentary adopter to try the system out, hope to see how it works tonight, I am all set for fine weather :)

Archived