NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What can I hope for?

New to observing (feeling my way). I have a Celestron Omni T150 telescope with a TS Expanse 5mm. 70º afv eyepiece. I am in Southern Spain overlooking the sea. Can I hope to get a good view of Saturn and Jupiter and Mars and constellations, or is this too optimistic?

So far I have incredible views of the Moon, but not so good with stars.

Or is it only a focus thing?

Pete

at 150x you will get decent enough views of Saturn and Mars but will need to concentrate on the latter particularly. you will see quite a few nebulae and galaxies if your skies are dark enough

constellations are usually too large to see in a telescope.

If you can get away from light pollution then southerly views over the sea should be lovely. Apart from planets, try looking for the constellations Scorpius and Sagittarius, and sweep the area at low power (or binoculars if you have any) - there are a great many beautiful star clusters and nebulae that should be easily visible (though don't expect them to look like Hubble photos - the nebulae will be colourless fuzzy patches).

Archived