Wide M57 with satellite, also M27 and M13

Having decided that the skied were not going to stay clear for long enough for it to be worth setting up the GPDX, I took a few shots with my Canon 600D on an iOptron skytracker.  Here's a minute's exposure at ISO 400 through an old 200mm pentax lens stopped down to f5.6.  I was using an Astronomik CLS clip filter (I live in London) and so there is a funny colour cast - but is the red on the brighter stars chromatic aberration in the lens?)

14086359409_c2f5b006e1_s.jpgwidem57 by PaulRide, on Flickr

14293181873_51736502aa_s.jpgwidem27 by PaulRide, on Flickr

14086359209_b35fdbcb72_s.jpgwidem13 by PaulRide, on Flickr

How zoomed in is that image? It looks too solitary red for chromatic aberration; hot pixels of some sort?

Jd

It's not massively cropped, and the red shows up very strongly on pretty much all the stars - definitely not just hot pixels.

Could well be CA then if it is on every star. That would seen like the most obvious cause then. Does it appear if you use other lenses / at prime focus on a scope?

Have you adjusted the white balance to compensate for the CLS filter?

Jd

I have checked the stars in your M13 image and the colour is bang on.

All the red stars are actually orange/red stars so your colour is good.

Some of the blue and white stars in the M57 image have red halos.

Archived