Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, my new friend!

Having spent my first few nights with mouth agape at Saturn, I feel somewhat unfaithful now having looked at Jupiter. However, also I've been very pleased to see that I have a relatively unpolluted view from the back garden over a good section of sky!

Had some problems with the EQ mount which cut the viewing session short this evening. I thought I'd look at that tomorrow, and ask some questions tonight! I've been using my Celestion Astromaster 114, and all questions are in relation to this 4.5 inch F/9 reflector. Also, until I order an additional one from FLO, I only have the 25mm erecting and 10mm EP's that came with the scope!

With a mirror this size, does leaving the telescope outside to get to an ambient temperature improve the resultant viewing? I popped mine outside at around 9pm in view of the weather forecast.

I was blown away with Jupiter, definitely could see one moon, and I suspect at least one more, but I'm not convinced with my experience levels. Also the colour bands, could definitely make out five different bands, white red white red white. Absolutely amazed I could see all this with a £100 telescope from Curry's!

I read the very informative post on choosing a set of EP's, and I was thinking of plumping for a good quality 6mm Plossl in view of possible future upgrades. At the moment I expect this will be to the popular F/5 Explorer 200p, so this would seem like a sound investment for the future, especially for use with a Barlow on nights with exceptional seeing?

Clear skies!

Hi.

Yes, getting it out a couple of hours before viewing helps. So does a fan blowing over the primary mirror, as long as it doesn't vibrate the picture.

I am just sad that Jupiter has been too far west for me these past couple of months. Houses and trees in the way :sad:. It is such an ever changing world with its moons changing positions, shadows, transits, watching features move across the planet!

Saturn's rings are lovely, but all of Jupiter is spectacular!

John

Hi.

Yes, getting it out a couple of hours before viewing helps. So does a fan blowing over the primary mirror, as long as it doesn't vibrate the picture.

I am just sad that Jupiter has been too far west for me these past couple of months. Houses and trees in the way :sad:. It is such an ever changing world with its moons changing positions, shadows, transits, watching features move across the planet!

Saturn's rings are lovely, but all of Jupiter is spectacular!

John

Ah, awesome news about letting it cool down a bit helping! Is there any special consideration about bringing him back in? Is there an issue with the sudden temperature increase?

And yeah I can understand the houses and trees blocking the view, I was beaten by a fence tonight :( still, it was an awesome 30 mins or so of viewing!

Ryan

Well, if there is dew in the system you don't want to be sealing it in, but then you don't want there being dust on the mirror.

Mine lives in the shed. I have an eyepiece holder which has been turned into a silica gel holder to help get rid of some of the dew. I also leave my top slightly ajar so that dust can't get in but the air can flow. Some suggest a kind of fabric cover over the scope to allow air flowing and dust to be kept out... HOWEVER! My old 8" used to live in the house. It would be completely sealed after each session. That used to come in and out all the time with no problems. Don't think the temperatures rise that much for there to be any damage or problems. Not like you're taking it from a freezer to an oven! Never had any damage or problems from dew remaining in the scope or heat increase (the eyepiece hole never used to be covered though! lost the cap pretty early on).

John

Archived