SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Alternative uses for an AZ3 mount

I've just bought an AZ4 mount to replace an AZ3. It seems a pity to waste the AZ3 so I wondered if it would be possible to use it for my binoculars.

Is that possible without some amazing and for me impractical metalwork/engineering conversion?

My binoculars have the usual threaded adapter socket between the lens barrels. 

At the moment I mount my binoculars on a camera tripod but it's not very satisfactory.

Might indeed be more rather useful for (the shorter length!) Binoculars :)

If the mount has an "Achilles Heal", it's in the basically *unbalanced* configuration.

Faced with a similar decision, I modified mine to (hopefully) be a tad more useful?

Added a "quick release" clamp - Subtle use of "wood technology" to screw it on! ;)

More innovative, the use of SPRINGS, to add a little restoring force as the scope

as it moves backwards... Despite, appearances works rather well. Better than than

random weigh addition etc. Could "have my eye out" if it goes sprooiiiiiing, tho"?  :D

Plan to (again) add an azimuth circle, Wixey angle gauge... for a "Push to" ST102.

post-539-0-97771400-1401007618.jpg

Archived