It's better then nothing, although I would ignore the claim of 180x useful magnification. Not sure where that came from - suspect a darts player. Max would I say be closer to 100x.

First real questiojn is how much of the sky do you know, as in constellations and any stars.

That helps to have an idea of where to point it.

I'll have to work out a few more one day,

If it has a finder then first during the day get it aligned with the main scope ( use the longset eyepiece you have) Pick something a couple of miles away for the alignment.

For starting use the 20mm eyepiece almost all the time. Views are wider so easier to get along with.

As an idea, and if you know the constellation Lyre try for the double-double at the "top" of it, the M57 - Ring Nebula between the bottom 2 stars. You may as well then move "left" to try Alberio.

Get a book, one that you can get along with. Hate to say it but one for children is often simple and usually plain and easy.

Try Jupiter (bright thing in the West most evenings) get it before it goes completely.

Mars (Red thing sort of South) will remain a small red disk, so don't get disappointed.

Saturn will I suspect need a better eyepiece of about 7mm, maybe 6mm, to see much. However it may be worth it.

Ask for more items and information when necessary.

Congratulations on your new scope :-)

First thing to do is line up your red dot finder, this is best done during the day on a distant object, away from the sun. Also learn where the controls are, as you will be using it in the dark.

The scope will be best suited to the moon & brighter DSOs, due to the small aperture. Before a nights observing, let the scope cool & select objects higher in the sky, as this will prevent distortion, from heat & the atmosphere. Just dont expect hubble views.

Use stellarium, a Planisphere or mobile app to learn the sky.

But most of all get outside & enjoy!

Good advise so far, so nothing I can add. Just wanted to say hello and that the best scope is the one that you use. If it gets you out there and gets you looking at the heavens, then it's a perfect scope :grin:

I would say (as another beginner) get out and start to find your way around the night sky. I have taught myself to recognise a few constellations and stars and am beginning to be able to find my way around and to be able to find specific objects.

Mind you there is something to be said for just picking a random piece of sky and seeing what you can see :grin:

Plenty of good advice on the forum as well.

Andrew

Archived