A special night - 12/2/08

Andrew*

I didn’t manage to make the most of our recent bout of clear skies until last night, when it was clear all day. I prepared well, printing out an observing plan, instructions on polar aligning, wearing my new very warm jumper knitted by the other half and two pairs of socks, etc. I also, for once, managed to remember everything I was likely to need for a long night under the stars, and was out by 7.

I took my time starting up. Having assembled all the equipment and carefully collimated the scope I set up the SLR on a tripod with a 50mm lens and started a 2 hour (star trails) shot of Orion at f/2.

Just as I pressed the shutter I noticed a bright moving light just to the west of where the camera was pointing. I checked my watch. Hooray, the 7.16 ISS pass, bang on time! I knew it was going to go over, but it wasn’t too bothered about seeing it or not as it only peaked to 10 degrees and was mag 1.7 or so, but I was really glad I noticed it. I looked through the binos and noticed the mysterious tail. It was short and sweet, but my first view of ISS.

I then took some time to do a decent polar alignment, which over the course of the session proved to be very accurate, with no discernible movement on the moon visually at 1000x.

I looked at the moon for some time. I experimented with various magnifications and the seeing proved to be the best I’ve ever “seen” it. I used the 3-6mm Nagler but even at 333x I was still getting very nice clean views, so I got out the Tal Barlow and stuck that in. At 500x the views still looked good. I had a good gander and really took in that amazing landscape and the various wonderful features. Now I know nothing about the moon’s geography, but when a crater’s ridge is hanging onto the last rays of sunlight, and it sticks out from the blackness…. That’s just something special! 8)

I decided to be a bit silly and zoom in. At 3mm with a 3x Barlow (1000x mag.) I noticed a funny effect. It looked like the moon was wobbling slightly, like jelly… The seeing was that good! I could however not get a clean focus. Either the focus point was really really fine at this magnification, or the ‘scope's/eyepiece's/barlow's optics weren’t up to the job – most likely a combination. I’m getting a new focuser with 1:10 reduction – this should prove its value in cases like these, when I felt any movement I made on the focus wheel was too clumsy to get that very fine focus point.

Also on the moon I tried the TS variable colour filter – this worked just as it should. I could choose between varying degrees of yellow, blue, and more or less neutral. Although I never looked for it, I can’t say I noticed more detail with or without the filter.

Viewed Castor through the ED80 at mags from 100x - 600x and could not make out a third star – is there one? It was a pretty double though.

Just then none other than my own mother walked into the garden to ask me something, and also to take her first peek through a telescope. I was really chuffed about this as it was the first time a member of my family had shown genuine interest in my hobby. She let out the usual noises and seemed genuinely impressed. She was also pleased for me that I got the station finished. She had doubts that it would be finished this session…

I now moved to M42, but again couldn’t see an awful lot. The CLS filter revealed marginally more. I blame two things – the moonlight, and a collimation issue with my scope. Though I had the laser beam bouncing right back on itself, the star test revealed a distinctly squashed primary. Really not sure what’s going on here. ???

I set up a 45minute Orion widefield (tracked this time) and went for a break I came back with warmer feet, a fuller belly and a bottle of dram (Macallan 10yo, if you must know)!

By now Saturn had cleared the wall and I swooped in. For some reason I find it really difficult to pick out the cassini devision, even though seeing was amazing and I went in really close. Perhaps also a collimation issue.

Tried and failed to find the Beehive (don’t know how I missed it…) and NGC 2903.

I spent an unimaginable percentage of my time working through moisture problems. The dew strips did their job very well, keeping the 50mm finder and ED80 clear of dew, but I was constantly with the hairdryer removing moisture from eyepieces, camera lenses, RDFs, the secondary mirror, and binocular objectives. This wasted both time and battery power.

Eventually at about 11.30 the hairdryer showed obvious sign of running out of juice, so I decided to make yet another feable attempt at finding those sneaky pair – Mr. Bodes and his Cigar. Pointed the scope roughly where I reckoned they might be, chucked in a 20mm eyepiece and looked. Miraculously, both galaxies were uncannily framed in the FOV. I was absolutely overjoyed. The background sky was very light, and the galaxies decidedly faint in comparison, but it put the cherry on the cake.

After such a long session (over 4 hours – long for me anyway), my kit had got into some disarray and was all caked with frost, but I made sure everything was fine and in its correct place, and left knowing exactly why I’d bought over £2k of kit – I used every single piece of equipment that evening and it all showed its value :D

The best part was that I wasn’t even cold – it was a very mild night and my jumper kept me nice and warm – thanks darling!

3749_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Sorry for such a long report. In case you were wondering, the yellow highlights are just that - highlighting the most significant bits of an evening which was quite special to me - especially after so long without a night out...

Andrew

That's a well written and entertaining report, thanks.

1000x in an 8"? Wow, I've never gone above 400x in my 8" LX200 (OK, all the Meade-bashers will now be saying that even 40x is too much for Meade's optical quality.....!) I'm not surprised you had trouble focusing. Like you say, if your collimation isn't absolutely perfect, all you're doing is magnifying a bad image to start with. I've not got a lot of experience with newt's, but this site -

http://www.piscescs.com/astro/collimat/notools2.html

is quite a useful resource.

As far as I know, Castor is a close (2 ") visual binary with a 9th mag., wide (72") tertiary component, but each visible star is a spectroscopic binary.

Anyway, keep the reports coming, it's nice to see what other people are up to.

Regards, Dave.

Thanks so much guys.

I'm always unsure whether such long reports will ever get read, so I'm really glad you took the time to read it :D

As far as I know, Castor is a close (2 ") visual binary with a 9th mag., wide (72") tertiary component, but each visible star is a spectroscopic binary.

Thanks Dave! I definitely didn't split number three, but number two was a clear split and very pretty. I also got a hint of the E component in the trapezium, but didn't dwell very long on it for one reason or another...

Andrew

Andrew,

I always read people observational reports for a couple of reasons..

Sometimes I get a bit flat with the observing so I read other peoples to give me motivation and drive.

Also, I like to compare my reports with others, and also it helps me with new and sometimes difficult targets..

Keep posting them up please.. :wave:

Great report, Andrew. And a wise selection of targets! When the seeing holds up, I really love to crank up the power on the Moon! The focus can get dicey, but when you're at "Ludicrous Power", it doesn't matter-it's still spectacular.

Dave's right about Castor being spectroscopic, and very close.

Cheers!

I felt like I was there too Andrew, and longing to nudge you out of the way so I could have a look.

You had a great session, and you related it so well. I just wonder how much pleasure your charges will get from it. I am sure that particalar astro station is going to become a popular destination for a lot of people when the word spreads.

I am especially pleased your Mum shared the experience too. Maybe your good lady will get some orders for jumpers when this report does the rounds. I love the Edinburgh Woollen Mill, but I am sure the one you have is up to that standard too.

Well done mate. It's all down to you.

Ron. :D

Well thanks again, guys. I really appreciate your taking the time to read through it and comment. I report mainly for my own benefit, so later I can read over my old reports and see how things have changed, but it motivates me to know that others enjoy to read them too.

I am sure that particalar astro station is going to become a popular destination for a lot of people when the word spreads.

I hope so too, but I hope SGL people won't hesitate to let me know if they happen to be in the area and they are more than welcome to join me!

Thanks again :D

Andrew

Archived