Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

May 15, 2014: Solar teatime, this time

Just had a brief look at the sun in H-alpha, and a curious proms stood out nicely from the north-eastern limb.  It almost looked like a complex Chinese character at 20x. At higher magnification (33x, 40x and 47x) and with improved tuning you could see faint filaments linking the surface just this side of the limb to the complex web of filamentous structures forming the prom. This lower bit almost looked like the legs of the LEM (for those who remember the Apollo days) or part of a T-2 phage.  Nearby a large filament crossed the surface, fairly close to a sunspot. Down south, nearly polar, a cloud of plasma stood out from the surface. The surface brightness of this prom was lower. On the western limb two more proms could be seen northwards. The western half of the disk was still dotted with large sunspots surrounded by bright and dark features.

Very nice views, well worth checking out.

That large prom,really is complex...plenty of detail and structure going on. The straight long filament to the left of ar 2063, is the longest I've seen yet. The transparency is not good cos there are lots of cirus clouds around but least I'm getting a look in.

Gorgeous little arching prom at almost 12 o'clock developing,it's not side on so you see the full arch but it's turned almost 90°. The transparency it's really depriving me of the detail of what's going on today, so it's a bit disappointing.

Archived