SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Local get together?

Dear all, Two and a half years after taking up astronomy I have only met a few dozen like minded people to chat to and have had to learn nearly all that I have from the internet and this forum. I have been to a local astronomy club but its far too clicky and full of its own importance to be of any help to the likes of someone like me. Dark sky meetings tend to be so far away that its not a great deal of help to me.All I want is to meet up with like minded soles interested in astronomy and its threads as I am into astrophotography. I live in the St Albans / Watford area and would like to connect with a few people interested in meeting up to chat and exchange knowledge with the hope that at some point I can do some physical observing with someone and  learn over a cup of tea etc how to master some of the techniques that up until now have been too difficult to put into practice from internet instruction.  Being able to email or call someone close by when there is a good night to view and meeting up or just being in touch to arrange a group get together at a house or pub etc would be so nice. If your interested and want to become a valued member of a small local group that could help each other through the exchange of knowledge then please contact me. Jay

one of the biggest problems with meetings is most people have other things to do
and most people are into Astronomy tend to be few and far between

I don't know a single person anywhere near me that has the bug the way I do let alone own a scope or even bino's
yes people are inquisitive and ask to have a look through my scope when I'm out
but thats as far as it goes, they don't have enough of an interest to invest the way us serious amateurs do
some of my friends think I'm mad for investing the amounts I do, but to me its money well spent

forums like this great place is where I share my hobby with like minded people
not the same as actual get togethers but I'm just happy we have a good place to share our experience and ask questions 
and get the best replies from a wider base than just the local area

Hi Jay, sorry to hear of your club experiences.   I'm a member of a local club and happy to be there, but fully understand it's not for everyone, for all sorts of very good reasons.

Some local astronomers around here who don't do clubs have formed a less formal group called ' Essex Cloud Dodgers ' who meet up for observing / imaging.

My own club works for me, the informal group works for them.  That's great, it's all about finding what works for you.

You are doing the right thing with your request to start a less formal group. Hope you succeed and find some local lads ( or brave lasses  :smiley: )

Cheers, Ed.

People around you did try to arrange something. However it was a case of not wanting to drop someone and every night selected meant one of 5 or 6 couldn't make it (pub social meet, first time). So eventually nothing happened. One problem I could see was that everyone had to drive to the pub (Wheathampsted area) and that meant no-one could have a drink.

Another "problem" is that you are in Herts, the SGL group for that is Herts, Beds, Bucks. I think too big. I am over at the Cambridge side and it falls into East Anglia. No way is what occurs in Norwich any relevance, same for Ipswich. They are too far away. Being a big area I think people do not bother, well I don't as little chance that anything is "local".

My preference would be an SGL group for each county. If someone lives in say S Cambs they can peek at the Herts group as it is "close". I do go out and observe at a place that is very close to the Camb/Herts county line.

Will ask: Do you know of somewhere to go and observe? Reasonable access, quiet and reasonably dark. At least with something like that you have to oppurtunity to say: "I will be at XX on YYY anyone want to meet up there?"

Interesting comments from you but it still bugs me that I sold some equipment on ebay and local guys brought it an I tried to keep in touch but it was all one way and yes you have guessed why.  The equipment I have amassed was too much for them to take in and instead of just wanting to chat and exchange knowledge it was a his is bigger than mine thing etc and thats sad as it was never my intention to outdo. So there we have it . Shut the door and live in your own little world tapping out words to faceless individuals on the internet that have we hope the same interest but no human face or voice . In concussion I must point out that I have solved alot of astronomy issues on this forum but its not always the way for me personally.  Clear skies and all that to you all.  Jay

Archived