NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

VX mount on a pier?

CSM

I've emailed Steve about this but  in case anyone else can help.

Am looking to upgrade from my NexStar 6SE to something like a 8" or 9.25" advanced AV.  Currently the 6se is mounted on a wedge and an AC282 Astroengineering pier.  To use the AV mount I would need the alignment peg to fit in one of the holes in the pier, or make another.  However, reading the manuals I realise that the mount may not actually be pier-compatible due to the central locking rod.  Is this correct?  If so I need to rethink my next upgrade!

But assuming this isn't a problem what size is the alignment peg?  Also the AV manual advise putting the peg over the tripod leg facing north or between the legs if at low latitudes - presumably that would mean south.  This implies that the position of the peg isn't crucial for polar alignment - is this correct?  Also, how much azimuth alignment movement does the mount allow - that is how crucial is the initial alignment?

The reasons I am asking is that currently I don't have the pier bolted down - with just a NexStar 6 the extra stability wouldn't matter.  However, I do have it quite well polar aligned but I have to remove the pier in order to properly seal the floor against damp - this is Wales!  So I could drill the holes prior to moving it out, but if the AV mount alignment peg positioning and the subsequent azimuth alignment isn't critical I wouldn't need to worry about pre-drilling the holes.

I'm sure someone could knock up a diy answer

I

Yes indeed. But unfortunately I haven't the necessary equipment/skills so must either look for another way to upgrade, or stick with what I have, or wait until a UK firm comes up with something.

• 1 year later...

I had this problem.  In the end I angle-ground my mount very carefully to slim down the bit in the middle of the base, so it would fit into Altair Astro's EQ5 pier adaptor. A bit messy (and no doubt invalidates the warranty) but it worked.

However I have since seen this dedicated VX pier mentioned on Facebook: 

Archived