Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

60mm vs 127mm solar white light

......To be honest, from memory the 106 is not dramatically different, but in better seeing I am sure it would deliver more detail. I don't recall ever seeing faculae in the centre of the disk, I think you need the contrast of the limb darkening to show this up but perhaps it is my seeing conditions locally with all the Heathrow 'traffic' overhead...?

I've just tried my ED120 and there was not much difference over the views with the ED102 in all honesty. Perhaps a little more structure in the pre-numbras at high power but the granulation definition looked much the same. The faculae are clearer at lower magnifications to my eyes and sort of blend more into the general surface texture as I zoom in.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stu, I do have a bit of a soft spot for the old girl. The mount is very good and the slo mos very handy, although the alt one is in an odd position when in alt/az mode.

John, that is very interesting that the detail gain is minimal with the extra 18mm or so over the 102mm. Good for me in some ways as it opens up more options. I think that being new at this solar lark, I am not too sure what to expect. I tried the st80 again, and whilst it did on this occasion show a little more detail in the faculae, the spots were less well defined. Focussing is a pig too. It seems to be either on or off.

Perhaps a nice 80mm Carton lensed F15 classic?? :cool:

Archived