Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nexstar 6SE or 6 Evolution

Hi Guys,

Just looking at these scopes. Do you think the evolution is a worthwhile upgrade to the SE and worth the extra?

Thoughts!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started out with the 6se- now 8se- and think its a good telescope for the money. However I have heard that the new app controlled plug in that is already available for the 6se is not very reliable, therefore it might not be that reliable on the evolution. Personally, the only benefit I can see is the built in battery due to having no cord.

However there is a £350 difference, which you could either use to buy the 8SE or a power tank and a few good eyepieces. 

also just to add, there are often 6se that are nearly new going for £500 secondhand.

Where are these found typically? Thanks

The 6SE is a great scope I have managed to get a lot out of mine over the past 2 years.

If you know that astronomy is for you and that you may want to venture into astro imaging soon after starting then I would save up for an equatorial mount and an 8" scope. This will allow you to do a lot more in the coming year. For the similar price of the evolution I would be tempted by the VX mount with the 8" SCT or the optically faster newtonians http://www.firstlightoptics.com/advanced-vx-goto/celestron-c8-sct-vx-goto.html

Not wanting to do AI really, mainly observing planets & some DSOs as a beginner.....was going down the Dob royte but now leaning to an SCT....

Not wanting to do AI really, mainly observing planets & some DSOs as a beginner.....was going down the Dob royte but now leaning to an SCT....

Fair enough, though the evolution has a lot of nice features and is aimed at those who want an easy set up, I would be tempted to go for an 8" scope to bring into view some of the DSOs and still go for an equatorial mount like the VX that has some nice software to set up the alignment. (without all the fuss of the traditional polar alignment that intimidates most amateurs). Celestron seem to be pitching the evolution at those that want to dabble with astrophotography, which is fair enough (with the older 6SE I can get 25s exposures with a ~75% success rate before field rotation / mount issues cause star streaks). The one thing about astronomy I found is that you start off wanting to do one thing then you soon realise that you want to do more 6months - 1 year down the line.

With astroimaging that interesting fuzzy DSO you can see with your eyes, turns into an amazing ball of glittering stars after a 30 second exposure ... that fleeting image of the finer clouds of Jupiter becomes that admirable perpetual image after 1000 frames processed in registax .....

Thanks, I thought the general consensus was to avoid eBay, so not looked?

I have brought a fair bit off eBay like eyepiece etc. The main thing is to check it over before you hand over the money.

The Celestron 6" advanced VX is slightly cheaper than the Evolution model and looks a better bet.  The 8" version is £440 cheaper - much better - and that is the one I have my eye on.

Archived