Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flextubes

bish

Does anybody use the SW flextube GOTO for imaging. I'm fairly sure that I've seen some good images from them.

I intend to build an obsy in the garden, over the next year, in which I will initially store my 250px. Further down the road I am torn between getting a bigger dob or going down the imaging route. I thought that a 14" flextube GOTO might be a good compromise. The other option would be to get an EQ6 for the 250px and spend the difference on a decent camera etc. I can't see me spending more than about £1500, so a C14 is out of the question!

Cheers

You should get fairly good results on solar system targets using a fast frame (AKA video or webcam) device. But for deep sky your problem is field rotation. An alt az mount like a Dob tracks up and down, side to side, but the sky only moves like that for observers at the north and south pole. There is also the problem of autoguiding, which also needs an equatorial mount.

In a nutshell, solar system/webcam, yes, deep sky, long exposure, no.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

Archived