Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky tee 2--handle?

SB Scott

Hi,

My first post here . . . I have a skytee 2 that I have been using for a couple of years. I got it after reading so many positive reviews here. I live in the U.S. where the ST-2 is all but unknown (I had to import from Canada), so I thought I'd ask you guys a question.

I use an 11" SCT on my ST-2, and just upgraded to a celestron cgem dx tripod (I had it anyway, and it seemed daft not to use the monster). Anyway, the c11 is stable as can be on this thing, and this has led me to start doing altitude movements with the clutch disengaged (I have been using slow-motion controls so far). I think that it would be a good idea to install a handle for altitude movements when the clutches are disengaged.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm thinking that an old screw driver that has a thread introduced to the bottom and a hole tapped into the ST-2 would work. . . 

Thanks!

I just grab the back of my C11 and move it up or down by the crayford. I found vthat I needed 10 kilo of weights to make the movement smooth in the left and right axis (azimuth?)

So far I have been doing the same. I think for an initial slew around the sky to locate objects that's fine, but for keeping track of a planet at high magnifications (i used binoviewers on planets a lot) when the FOV is small, i suspect a handle will be helpful.

I might simply tape a drum stick to the mount to try it out!

Ok, thanks for the encouragement. I will experiment and return with pictures. 

ps. drum sticks--bad idea. I need something metal.

pps. Michael: If you haven't tried it, views in California can be pretty good. There's loads of mountains and a large network of roads. As long as you aren't in lala land, you will be fine.

Archived