setting up 1145p skywatcher az goto

this thing is supposed to be easy,  i have tried everything in the manual and everything in the tutorials on u tube and it still doesn't  align properly . i choose jupiter as my 1st star then procyon for my second but it doesnt go anywhere near procyon.what am i doing wrong , 

Besides the statement "I entered all the data correctly" exactly what data did you enter?

Numbers and values and the order they went in.

The terriable thing about a goto is if they have the correct data they do what is generally expected.

One idea do not use a planet, stick to stars for alignment. At present Mars should be moving backwards and I doubt that the simole software can account fopr that too well. It is just safer to stick to stars.

This may be irrelevant, however, are you entering the date in the correct format and setting daylight saving time (  what we call British summer time ) and also have a good power supply ?

Hope you sort it, Ed.

Trouble is the date could be entered in UK format so the scope thinks it is April 5th, the scope wants Longitude first (many put Latitude in first), Longitude may not have all the leading 0's, DST set right, timezone.

Hi a newb here, call me dumb but I am having trouble with my Synscan AZ goto. I live in the uk and we are in BST . Do I need to enter +1 for my time zone, I always leave it ad 00.00. I can never do a 2 star alignment and when it slews to the 2nd star its nowhere near it.

No, the timezone is UHT, or 0.

Leave it at that then enter the time as on your watch.

Then when asked for DST Y/N ? answer Yes.

Make sure the Long and Lat are entered correct.

Think these like Long first then Lat.

So it will be something like:

000  12 W  (LONGITUDE)

51     50 N  (LATITUDE)

For your location.

thanks for the advice. I use a gps app for my location. Intresting you mentioned the long and lat, as a newb and only been out 3 times with my new kit, it always bugs me thinking if I have put the coordinate s in correctly. Tried 3 tines now and still cant do a 2 star alignment successfully.

Also I am using 03.09 handset software version. Dont know why sky watcher supply a rs-232 cable its basically obsolete. I got 3 computers and none have a com port. Have to pay for a converter.

Also I am using 03.09 handset software version. Dont know why sky watcher supply a rs-232 cable its basically obsolete. I got 3 computers and none have a com port. Have to pay for a converter.

You might want to update your firmware. V3.09 is the firmware for the Allview mount, I don't know if that version works correctly on the AZ GOTO mount. We've had a number of discussions regarding the RS232 data cable. Basically although the use of a USB socket instead of a serial port would be nice, the handset doesn't need it. RS232 works just fine for what it is used for, USB would bring in a whole load of its own problems.

thanks for the advice. I use a gps app for my location. Intresting you mentioned the long and lat, as a newb and only been out 3 times with my new kit, it always bugs me thinking if I have put the coordinate s in correctly. Tried 3 tines now and still cant do a 2 star alignment successfully.

Make sure you are not trying to input the coordinates in a decimal (this seems to be the format GPS receivers use) . Goto handsets use the standard method of coordinates, degrees, minutes and sometimes seconds.

Yep I just ordered 232 to usb coverter from Amazon it was only £2.25. What do you all use to power the mount. I was thinking of purchasing a 12v Mobility scooter rechargeble battery. Light weight and about £15 would that do the job?

Ok thanks for the advice peter. I need a decent power supply to the mount. AA batteries dont seem to last long, especially if your lighting up the handset aswell.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with updating a AZ goto mount. i have successfully updated my synscan handset firmware using my new RS232 to USB converter, but when i go to update the Mount motor controller firmware my PC keeps crashing. I followed the procedure by using the handset as a communication link to the mount but it keeps crashing...has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution.

Can anyone help me with updating a AZ goto mount. i have successfully updated my synscan handset firmware using my new RS232 to USB converter, but when i go to update the Mount motor controller firmware my PC keeps crashing. I followed the procedure by using the handset as a communication link to the mount but it keeps crashing...has anyone else had the same problem and found a solution.

Check to see if your MCB is compatible with the updated firmware, only boards rev 2.00 or higher can be updated.  With the handset connected to the mount and pc put the handset into PC Direct mode and then run the MCFirmwareloader program. Press the "MC firmware" button and the program should display the MCB revision number.

Thanks I bought it new at the beginning of May 2014 so I assume the mount has the new 2.0 board. I tried what you advised pressing the 'MC FIRMWARE' but my laptop still dont like it, it justs restarts.

Thanks Stellarium works really well with it. Do you still need to perform the 2 star alignment when using stellarium? i entered my location coordinates in stellarium so will that be enough?

Archived