Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher 102 for astrophotography -- extension tube needed?

Lee_P

Hi all,

I have a quick question that I hope someone here can help me with. I'm looking to buy a Skywatcher Startravel 102, and would like to attach my Nikon D700 body to it for astrophotography fun. I already have a T mount / adapter. My question is, will I need an extension tube? And if so, any one in particular? Info on the Skywatcher website makes it sound as if an extension tube is only needed for terrestrial photography; but some comments made on this forum suggest otherwise. 

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

- Lee

if you have a barlow lens that you can remove lens from the tube then helps coming to focus,i have the 102 also but use with nikon

as said above it is towards end of travel when it comes into focus make sure mount is up to holding all in place!!

i had it on a alt/az goto mount which is useless for anything heavy either side of balance,whenever i tried outward travel camera headed south....very quickly!!

Archived