NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Decent Barlow Lens for Imaging?

Thanks everyone, I will have a look at the Televue's. Only thing im concerned about is the length of these Barlows. They are a couple of inches in length and this lifts the sensor out of the range of attaining prime focus, is there a Barlow that is very short that can screw into a T-ring and not lift the camera to far away from the focuser?

Johnny - I don't think its a deluxe addition as it was something including in my 60mm refractor starters kit :). It also doesnt have a screw thread to attach straight on the T-ring so i have to use a T - Adapter to attach it.

Ah yes, the stock SW Barlow is pretty bad by most accounts. I have the 'deluxe' (cough) version, which I think has a slightly better reputation.

As regards your first point I'm not sure the length of the Barlow itself makes a difference, it will be where the point of focus is that matters. A longer Barlow will still have it's point of focus in roughly the same place relative to any EPs you slot in it (and therefore the camera's sensor) it's just got a longer barrel. Some of the high powered Barlows are pretty huge, but they must still be able to bring the image into focus using the same eyepieces you would use if you didn't have a Barlow at all :smiley:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes, the stock SW Barlow is pretty bad by most accounts.

Generally they seem very variable in quality.  However, remove the lenses and they make a handy 1.25" 40mm extension (how about that for mixing units :)

James

thanks i got it for £35 he is posting today too :)

Great

Glad I could be of some help

It was a steal for £35 even without the compression ring

MM

Great

Glad I could be of some help

It was a steal for £35 even without the compression ring

MM

wow i was not expecting that!!! got the barlow through the door this morning!!! now thats what i call service!!! :D it looks brand new :)

Archived